Friday, February 06, 2009

Show & Tell Friday for February 6


For Show & Tell Friday today, I want to share photos of the pieced table runner I just completed. As regular readers of my Christmas blog know, I like to work on Christmas projects all year round. I also have a huge collection of Christmas magazines dating back to the 1950s. Each year I spend time looking through some of these for ideas of things to make.

I found this runner in the December 1980 issue of Decorating and Craft Ideas magazine. Apparently I was interested in stitching it even way back then, 28 years ago, because I found that I had enlarged the patterns via photocopier, and they were ready to use now, in early 2009! I cut the pieces out just after Christmas, using remnants from my stash of Christmas fabric, and have worked on the runner in spare moments ever since. I must hasten to add that I am not a quilter and am not even a very proficient seamstress. I just followed the instructions and the runner came out looking much like the magazine photo, so I'm happy with that.

Here is the runner. Sorry for the perspective in the photo, but taking it from this angle was the only way to fit the whole runner in the picture. Our table does have one more leaf which we add in to seat 12 around the table, so the runner will still be a fine length for that.

Here is a detail of the back of the runner. I wanted not to have to buy any fabric for this. I had a lot of this green gingham on hand as I had bought it with the idea of making valances for the dining room windows. I think I still have plenty left to use for that.

And here is a closer detail of one end of the runner. I think it is so pretty.

There is also a place mat pattern, in the Dresden plate design, which coordinates with the runner. I'd like to make a bunch of those, maybe a dozen, to go along with the runner. A future project!

To see what others have shared for Show & Tell Friday, head on over to There is No Place Like Home

and check out the links. Happy Show & Tell Friday, everyone!

9 comments:

  1. I like it. I think your idea of working on Christmas projects all year must make for a happy YOU. Thanks for sharing. Happy Show and Tell Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gift that will be. I think it's great that you are already making Christmas gifts. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this cute little table runner. I too use to do tons of sewing when my children were younger., I miss it! Very pretty share! ~CC Catherine of "Catherine de th`e Cups"

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great table runner...you did a super job on it. Sewing rounded areas scares me a little... but I'm working on it ;o).

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am *jealous* of your 1950's Christmas magazine collection! That must be so much fun to look through! Great project here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stitching is my favourite pasttime and your runner is a wonderful idea. The colours are so bright and festive! How fun it must be planning Christmas all year round! Have a lovely weekend! FeeBeeKay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, ladies, for visiting my Christmas kitchen and for leaving such sweet and thoughtful comments!

    I hope that you will all feel welcome to stop in here at my Christmas kitchen anytime. There are tons of ideas for gifts, crafts, and decorating, and lots of recipes too, in the archives.

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your table runner.....and I like that you work on your projects all year long....I would have to do it because it takes me so long to complete something but it would help to stay in the "spirit of christmas" all year. It must be wonderful to have magazines back to the 1950's to review and look at....that would be wonderful.
    Blessings
    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debbie,

    Thanks so much for stopping by my Christmas kitchen to see the table runner!

    I am just the same way as you... I am so busy day-to-day that the only way I can do projects like this is to just keep working away on them a little at a time.

    Stop in and visit anytime!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!