Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Purse size tissue holders -- fun little stocking stuffers to make now!

Made for a friend who loves green.
 I mentioned another project similar to the patchwork-look coasters.  This one is just that simple to make, and lots of fun as well.  In addition to keeping tissues in one's purse, these holders would also work well to keep in the car's glove compartment or in a child's school desk or backpack. 
My friend Marilyn made this tissue holder for me as a gift.  That got me started!
These are designed to have a patchwork look to them, but they need not be made with a variety of fabrics.  If you prefer, you could make all of the pieces from the same fabric for a more subdued look.  Here's what you do:

1.  Cut 2  4-inch squares from the fabric of your choice.  Cut 3 rectangles 4 inches by 5 3/4 inches.
2.  Choose the fabric you want to be the bottom of the tissue holder. Lay this rectangle, right side up, on your work surface.
3.  Fold the remaining four pieces in half, wrong sides in. Press the resulting rectangles so the folds are crisp and smooth.
4.  Lay the 2 larger rectangles just formed on top of the rectangle you set aside for the bottom of the holder. The folds of the rectangles should meet at the center, and the raw edges should line up with the outer edges and corners of the bottom rectangle beneath.
5.  Do the same with the remaining 2 rectangles. Interlock all of the rectangles like a pouch.  (This is much like interlocking the four top flaps of a cardboard box.)
6.  Pin along the outer edges of the entire stack.
7.  Stitch around all 4 sides in a 1/4-inch seam.
8.  Trim seams if necessary and clip off each corner.
9.  Turn tissue holder right side out and push out the corners so they are nice and square. Press holder carefully.
10.   If you like, hot-glue or sew a button or two to one of the rectangles to dress it up a bit.  A yo-yo or ribbon rose might make a pretty trim, too.
11.  Add a purse size pack of tissues to the holder.

Here are a couple of other tissue holders I have made.

Made for a teenage friend
Back of tissue holder below-- nice and neat!
      
















11 comments:

  1. looks easy enough. Tut is well written too. THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Christie! Hope you enjoy this project if you try it. They are SO easy and fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this project tutorial, it was the perfect project to inspire me to break my machine out of its hiding spot. The most time consuming part was trying to decide what fabric to use...a very quick project as you said. I added a short strap. It was going to have a clasp on it so my grandkids could dangle one from their backpack but as it turned out, I didn't have any. I'll be making a few more to send home and plan to put a pocket on the back with a loop and button closure to accommodate a bottle of hand sanitizer. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome, Jeanne! And thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen!!

    I agree, I found the same thing -- that the choice of fabric was the most time consuming part of the entire project! What a great idea to incorporate a bottle of hand sanitizer! A few years back my granddaughters sewed up some of these to put in Christmas Shoeboxes -- thinking that might be a great idea to add a pocket or perhaps elastic to hold a bottle of hand sanitizer in place if we do that again.

    So glad you could be inspired to break out your sewing machine. I need to get mine going again too -- making a flannel baby blanket for a gift. Baby was born in Sept. so I need to get going on this!

    Oh -- be sure and check out the archives here and also my regular blog. There are lots of ideas here that might interest you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made up a bunch of these this week. Super easy and a great way to use up some more scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I am so glad that you enjoyed this project!😊. I hope to make more of these myself if things ever slow down.

      Thanks for the visit and stop by anytime!

      Delete
  6. Sharon5:00 PM

    Thank you for the cute idea. I am just confused as to how to fold it like a cardboard box. Do you have a visual, either in pictures or video?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't, Sharon, but I looked at a few other sites and tutorials to try and find an answer for you. Take a look at this one: tissue holder. They use the same fabric on all four sides, but I think the pictures of the process make it quite clear. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Sharon7:14 PM

      Oh my goodness, I do know how to make things more complicated in my mind than they really are! Thank you for the help. Love your site!!

      Delete
  7. These are so cute, Mrs. T! I have made many tissue holders, but none like these.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!