Monday, June 27, 2016

A new-to-me mailbox card!


If you've read my Christmas blog for long, you know how very much I enjoy Christmas card scenes depicting mailboxes.  Today I was emptying out a cardboard box I found in a closet and came upon this beauty from the mid-1980s.  It's funny ... sometimes cards don't look like much when you first look at them, but once you scan them and get them on the computer you see all sorts of details.

I think the artist used some real artistic license with this scene, because, while the lights are on in the house and the shadows on the snow have the blue look they get at twilight, the flag is up on the mailbox, indicating the mail in the box is outgoing mail.  No true country person would ever put the outgoing mail in the box at night and leave the mailbox door open.  What if it snowed overnight?

So the picture isn't very accurate, but it is surely a pretty scene.  I love the log post the mailbox sits on, the cardinal perched on a snowy branch, and the smoke wafting up from the chimney.  There's even a lighted lamppost at the end of the driveway.  Charming!  This is a lovely addition to my collection of mailbox cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!