Thursday, June 10, 2021

The vintage wrapping paper that moved me to tears

 

Yes, I admit it.  This past Christmas, I was wrapping gifts when all at once I found my eyes stinging.

I happened to be using some vintage wrapping paper (not really old, probably from the 1980s).  When I opened this piece of paper up to see if it was large enough for the particular gift I was wrapping, the lovely images literally brought tears to my eyes.  Why was that, I wondered?  

It might have been the mailbox.  Longtime readers know how I love mailbox images on Christmas cards.  I think that they speak so much to the innocence of a time not all that long ago, when life was simpler and less complicated for all of us.

 It might have been the barn.  I grew up, not literally on a farm, I guess, but in the middle of one.  The barn was one of my happiest play spaces as a child.  Although the barn on the wrapping paper did not resemble the barn of my childhood in the least, the thought of it could have triggered nostalgic tears.


Or maybe it was the sleigh.  I have no childhood connection with sleigh rides (although I've been on a few as an adult), but those sentimental illustrations of a sleigh gliding across snow, maybe with a farm or village in the distance, often speak to me.  In this one,  there's a village including a church and maybe a covered bridge, and evergreen trees in the background.

  Then again, it could have been the Christmas tree.  I love outdoor Christmas trees with colored lights -- always have.  Throw in some holly, some bare branches and some winter birds and I am hopelessly enchanted. 

As I think it over now, I guess it was the combined nostalgia of all of these images that brought on the tears.  2020, after all, was a year like no other.  Never has our American way of life felt more threatened. I think that in my overtired, overtaxed emotional state I likely was even thinking we might not be able to celebrate Christmas next year.  From this distance now, I can look back and just appreciate these sweet vintage images, and declare my intention of celebrating Christmas 2021 to the hilt!

12 comments:

  1. The vintage paper is a treasure trove of a world gone by. I see no beautiful images like these on today's wrapping papers. I can see how they would stir emotions and especially in a fouled year like 2020. The things we continue to learn about the entire thing boggles the mind. There were days during 2020 when I felt overwhelmed and at a loss about how to carry on. God Himself carried us on. I like your goal to celebrate Christmas 2021 well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fouled year is a perfect way to describe 2020! A fouled year with no shortage of foul play. Yes, absolutely, God Himself carried us on and He will continue to do so no matter what comes. I love Psalm 61 that reminds us when our heart is overwhelmed we can cry out to Him.

    Yes, celebrating Christmas 2021 well. That's my goal!

    On another note, I have begun working on Christmas in July posts. We will see how far I get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. The wrapping paper perfectly depicts an innocent time. 2020 will go down in history. Let's hope and pray 2021 will bring justice for our needless suffering. God always wins. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! I'm glad you are enjoying the blog.

      Yes, I'm looking forward and praying that 2021 brings, as you said, justice for our needless suffering. Real justice seems in short supply these days, but not with God, the Judge of all the earth!

      Delete
  4. What a sweet post. I've always been nostalgic, but I find myself being more so these days. I think it's probably my age combined with all the changes in our family. Whatever it is, I totally empathize with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post, Vicki! Yes, I think our age, plus changes ... in our lives and in our world ... is definitely making us more nostalgic.

      Delete
  5. I can understand why the wrapping paper brought you to tears, thinking of our innocence of years gone by, and how the world has changed. I’m praying that our country turns back to Our Lord and that corruption will be dealt with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am praying the exact same way, Kitty. It's very heartening to realize how many of us prayer warriors there are. Thanks for stopping by my Christmas kitchen today and sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending cards and letters via "snail mail" -- yes, that's nearly a lost art. I say that and I try to still send greetings that way and yet, the computer and social media take up so much less time! This is a charming post. Love the wrapping paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very glad you enjoyed the post, Barbara! It's a blessing to have you visit.

      I send nearly all of our Christmas cards vial "snail mail". I don't do as well with birthday cards, often resorting to e-cards because those birthdays just sneak up on me regardless of whether they are on the calendar or not!

      Delete
  8. That paper had all the good Christmas memories in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, didn't it? Lovely seeing you here, Lucie!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!