Monday, January 16, 2017
A simple little project
I'm finally getting around to show pictures of a simple ornament I put together in December.
Back in November I took part in a cookie swap at a local library. One of the librarians had all of the makings available for a simple craft -- an ornament made with a canning jar lid. She had the lids, plus ribbon and trims, and Christmas cards, fabric, etc. My granddaughter Julia and I each made an ornament. When I left the library that evening, I had the basic ornament to take home with me. I used the inner part of the lid to trace a circle on part of a Christmas card -- I chose one with a lighted house on it. Then I ran a loop of red ribbon between the two parts of the lid to use as a hanger, and hot-glued the circle in place. The pretty gold and white trim made an attractive edge as I hot-glued that around the inner part of the rim.
I didn't hang the ornament right away because I kept thinking it needed a little something more. I think it was after Christmas when I finally found time to finish it. I took some yellow glitter glue and brushed it over the lighted windows in the scene with a toothpick, and let that dry. Later, I gently brushed Mod Podge over the entire scene, and sprinkled it with fine glitter. Once that was dry, I hot-glued a small sprig of red berries and green leaves to the top inner edge.
I was pleased with how it came out, although the back of the ornament is not so pretty -- festooned with strings of hot glue. People were waiting in line for the glue gun at the library and so I had to hurry. If I make more of these, I will make every effort to be more careful with the hot glue.