Wednesday, July 03, 2019

Advice for choosing the perfect photo Christmas card


Doesn't it seem as if more and more people are sending photo cards at Christmas?  Back in 1963 (see above) it was also quite a popular route to go for Christmas cards.  There were a few styles of photo cards available, but many people opted to create their own.  The card below is also from 1963.

I'm not sure of the year on this next one -- it has to be in the 1960s -- but it is slightly more sophisticated in that the photo went inside the card.

But the styles and options available for photo cards today are truly amazing! Below are a couple that we received in 2018.


If you've ever sent, or thought about sending, photo cards from your family at Christmas, you know it can be quite the challenge to find just the one that works with your photos and conveys the message you want to get across.   I recently read such a helpful post on Choosing the Perfect Photo Christmas Card.  It's by Laura at The Turquoise Home.

I hope that Laura's tips are helpful to you.  I don't send photo cards, but these tips looked so good for those of you who do that I just had to share.  One very important point is to start early with your photo.  Laura mentions how she scheduled a summer photo shoot with her family at a local park.  This worked beautifully and resulted in a lovely card and photo.

You can also see in the "Merry Christmas" snowflake card above how another family used photos from their fall vacation.

I thought Christmas in July was the perfect time to share these photo card tips.  You can get a jump on the photo cards this year by starting to think about it now!

8 comments:

  1. I am an odd duck. I prefer a photo tucked into a card over the photo cards. For one thing, remember, I am a weirdo, I want the photo to be seasonally accurate if they are on a photo card and they rarely are. 🤦🏻‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't send photo cards myself, but I enjoy the ones that others send, especially young families. One can really see how the children grow from year to year.

      My brother-in-law in Vermont will often make a Christmas photo card using wintry scenes from his area.

      Delete
  2. We have sent photo cards the past two Christmases. I love the photo cards I get from the young families I know, but resisted sending one of my own. I was so pleased with the first one we sent that I decided to give it a try for a few years. I'm not opposed to Christmas cards, but the photo card is definitely easy to create and such fun to choose the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are so many possibilities and themes for photo cards these days. The ones you have sent of you and Dan with the grands are really nice.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking into photo cards for this year. Haven't quite made up my mind but I'm doing my research. Thanks for the link to Laura's tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea to do plenty of research first. So many possibilities with photo cards!

      Delete
  4. We never receive them anymore but when I was young my mom used to send them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that you never receive the photo cards any more. Maybe it's not as much a thing in Canada as it is here. We seem to get more of them each year.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!