Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Lemon Spritz


Aren't cookie presses wonderful? I love the way they produce many beautiful cookies so quickly. I don't remember ever making pressed cookies in my childhood or teen years, although I often helped my mother with baking, especially at Christmas. She probably owned a cookie press, but I don't remember it ever being used, if so.

When I had a kitchen of my own, I did acquire a cookie press -- if I remember right, as a gift from my mother. I have been through several cookie presses -- at least four that I can recall.

This lemon spritz recipe is a favorite of mine because it is very different. It has a lovely flavor from the fresh lemon juice and rind.

LEMON SPRITZ
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 Tblsp. lemon juice
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt

Beat butter until light; beat in sugars until light and fluffy. Beat
in lemon peel and juice and egg to blend thoroughly. Sift together
flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture, blending well.

Fill the cookie press with one-fourth of the dough at a time. Use the
plates of your choice to press out cookies about 1 inch apart on ungreased
baking sheet. (I often use the camel plate for these cookies, but they are good in any shape.)

Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes, or until light brown on edges.

Remove from baking sheets to cooling racks. Makes about 8 dozen cookies.


2 comments:

  1. I have a much neglected cookie press, because I didn't like the only recipe it came with...little sugar cookies.

    I am so excited to try this recipe, I love lemon! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I hope you like these cookies! We love them. They have a very nice lemon flavor. There are several other great cookie press recipes here too. Love cookie presses -- they make cookie baking so easy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!