Tuesday, May 08, 2007

"Pail Full of Muffins"



It can be especially challenging to find good, useful gifts for older folks. For the past several years, I’ve done something very different for my mother-in-law. I make up a batch of this muffin batter and place it in one of those covered plastic Christmas buckets from Wal*Mart.   The containers I'm talking about are similar to those below, but quite a bit larger.


 I give her this muffin batter along with a jar of homemade hot chocolate mix and a box of clementines. (The first year, I also gave her a silicone muffin pan.) She absolutely loves this gift and often returns the bucket and the jar for refills later on.

PAIL FULL OF MUFFINS

Combine the following in a very large bowl:

1 box bran flakes -- about 15 to 16 ounces
1 quart buttermilk
2 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt

Let mixture cool until it’s lukewarm.

In another bowl, cream together:

1 cup shortening -- I use a butter flavor Crisco® stick
2 cups sugar
4 eggs

Add the creamed ingredients to the bran mixture.

Sift together:

5 cups flour
5 teaspoons baking soda

Stir the sifted ingredients into the bran mixture.

Muffins may be baked right away, but keep in mind that this recipe produces at least 5 dozen muffins! The idea is to store the batter in a covered container, like a Tupperware® bowl or a covered plastic pail, in the refrigerator, then bake the muffins a few at a time as needed. The batter will keep for at least a month in the fridge.

When ready to bake, fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups only half full. Bake at 375º for 20-25 minutes, until the muffins test done.


(This recipe originally called for 3 cups sugar and a combination of bran buds and all-bran.  Those cereals are more expensive, and I  have found that the bran flakes, even the store brands, work just as well.)

If you have an older person to shop for, you may like to try this gift idea!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:26 AM

    What a great idea! I so enjoy all of your ideas!
    Blessings, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty!

    So glad you are checking in here at the Christmas kitchen from time to time. I am posting here as a reward for every day that I exercise. I get to come here right afterwards and post. It's a great incentive.

    Yes, this muffin idea is one that works out very well as a gift for older folks. I did this for my parents too, but they didn't care for the silicone muffin pan. My mother-in-law sure does enjoy the gift each year, though!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!