Thursday, August 28, 2014

Vintage kids' book ~ The Most Beautiful Tree in the World


This book was one of my favorite Christmas stories as a child.  It is a Wonder Book and, sadly, gives no credit to either the author or illustrator.  All it says is that the story was originally published in Family Circle magazine in 1954 and was copyrighted as a Wonder Book in 1956.

The book tells the story of children living on a farm and the beautiful gigantic spruce tree on their property.  The tree is sold and carried away by helicopter to become the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center.  Andy and Ellen get to go to the city and see their tree in all its glory.  The story ends happily with a new little spruce tree being planted in place of the large one, and the promise that it too may one day be the most beautiful tree in the world.
Andy and Ellen's first sight of the helicopter passing over their farm
The story is fun and the illustrations absolutely fabulous.  If you can find a copy, this little book is well worth having in your Christmas book collection.

5 comments:

  1. Oh this book sounds delightful Mrs T! The illustrations are so lovely, thanks for sharing.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed it, Eileen! I haven't tried searching anywhere, but it just might be you could find a copy of this book somewhere online.

    I do have a few more vintage kids' books to share when I can find the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:05 PM

    I had this book on my bookshelf as a child and it was one of my favorites also. Wish I still had it to read to my children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it a wonderful book? I love it -- the illustrations and story are both so nice. Bet you could find a used one on Amazon, Etsy or eBay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have mine and I cherish it! There are a few new ones out there now, and I love those too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!