Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Fun snowman ornament to make


Photo and design by Crafts by Amanda
Another craft sounds like a good idea right about now.  I've admired Amanda Formaro's prolific work and unique craft ideas for years.  Last year I saved this with the idea of using it for Christmas in July, so here is Amanda's Antiqued Canning Lid Snowman for your crafting pleasure.

It's a great repurposing idea, because canning jar lids cannot be reused for further canning and preserving.  The bands may be reused, but over time they tend to get rusty.  That makes them perfect to give an antique vintage look to this project!

This ornament uses mostly materials that any crafter would have on hand.  The only things it calls for that I will have to purchase are antiquing medium and Antique Mod Podge.  (I have regular Mod Podge on hand, but not the Antique type.)

Right now in July many folks are making jams and jellies with fresh picked fruit or thinking about canning or pickling garden produce.  If that's you, then you'll soon be buying new canning lids and sorting through your bands.  If you find a few rusty bands, they'll be just the thing to use for this project -- each ornament takes 2 lids and 2 bands.

I'd really like to make a half dozen of these or more.  They would be sweet dangling from an evergreen garland, maybe with a few snowflakes interspersed.  If  you think so too, head on over to Crafts by Amanda and get the how-tos!

4 comments:

  1. Great idea to recycle those lids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and if you're hopelessly inept at art, you can buy snowman face transfers at the craft store!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great craft to do with the grands!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!