Wednesday, January 22, 2020

And now, the actual 2019 candy and kitchen gifts lists


Once again, it's time for a reality check as to what I actually made for candy and kitchen gifts.  Here goes!

First, the candy list.  Below you see my actual list.

We only made about half of what I had listed.  Mr. T made several batches of Heavenly Delight, and I made a batch of Arlene's Easy Fudge and one of Special Holiday Fudge.  The other items didn't get made.  I bought the orange candy slices but ended up not using them.  We had some of the chocolate-dipped orange slices in the freezer from last year, and they were still delicious, so didn't need to make more.

Now, for the kitchen gifts list.

Again, this got tweaked in a major way.  I ran out of time to do the Christmas Jam, and I chose to make Chex Mix rather than Cinnamon Pretzels.  I ended up not doing the Hot Chocolate Mix until after Christmas.

I tried a different recipe for the Chex mix, thinking it might be more like the kind my great-aunt used to make for us.  I was underwhelmed with the result.  Next year I want to try a recipe that is spicy and incorporates beef jerky.  Think it might be a real hit with the people I give snack mixes to.  We will see.

It's great to plan, but I always like to also make good note of what worked and what didn't.  It really helps with planning for the next Christmas.

8 comments:

  1. The orange slices dipped in chocolate must be delicious. I must try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious, Thelma. Hope you enjoy this treat!

      Delete
  2. Adding beef jerky to the Chex mix could be very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a good recipe to me. Think it has some chili powder in it also.

      Delete
  3. Did you put “buy a pen” on your list?😉

    I have tried so many new recipes on my family for special times without first testing it. Usually, they have been abysmal failures. I prefer to stick with the tried and true for the big holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Guess I *should* have put "buy a pen" on my list, shouldn't I?

      My family laughs because I usually try new recipes on company. But most often they turn out okay and go over quite well.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous1:10 PM

    Beef jerky? what a novel idea.
    I too made much less this year.
    Lucie D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that recipe sounded really good to me. I will let you know if I try it.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!