Sunday, July 10, 2022

A Christmas poem: First Christmas

 

Image from Pixabay

From another vintage Christmas Ideals, I've picked out another poem to share with you all.  This one is written by Betty W. Stoffel.  The title, First Christmas, doesn't refer to the birth of Jesus as you might suppose.  Yet it is beautiful and most meaningful.  I hope all of you will enjoy it.

FIRST CHRISTMAS

Dear son, you're far too small to know
What sets the Christmas heart aglow.
You'll only look with grave surprise
As colors dance before your eyes.
The manger scene, the lighted star,
The greeting cards from near and far,
The splendor of a lovely tree,
The carols of eternity,
These shall be meaningless this year
To little eye and little ear.

First Christmas! O my tiny son,
For me it is a special one:
For I, who hold you close, have trod
Those sacred steps that lead to God.
And so, for both of us, I know
What sets the Christmas heart aglow;
So I shall see and I shall hear
For both of us this Christmas, dear.
I feel so close to Him through you,
For once God's Son was little too.

-- Betty W. Stoffel


1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!