Sunday, December 18, 2022

Sunday Scripture

 


As I mentioned last week, in December 2020 I used Peace, Be Still: A 31-Day Christmas prayer journal, from Women Living Well.  I had thought I might use some of my simple study from this book as Scripture Sunday posts for this December.  I've been doing so, using different posts on each of my blogs to keep it interesting for all of my readers.  I will take two from each week's study to use one each on my blogs, and maybe next December use more of them.

Also -- note that this simple study does not use the SOAP method as my studies usually do.  This one includes a verse for the day, a thought for the day,  a reflection question for the day and space to write a prayer for each day.  I tended to look at the verse a little bit in depth, and I tended to answer the reflection question in the prayer, but I didn't always do it that way.  And of course you can use these any way you want to.   Here goes with the study for Week 3, Day 16!

Verse for the day:

"LORD, Thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations.
"Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever Thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God."  (Psalm 90:1-2)

My study:

Cross-references for Psalm 90:1 include: 

"The eternal God is our refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." (Deuteronomy 33:27)

"Thus saith the LORD God, Although ... I have scattered them among the countries, yet will I be to them a little sanctuary in the countries where they shall come."  (Ezekiel 11:16)

Cross-references for Psalm 90:2 include:

"Before the mountains were settled, before the hills were brought forth,
"While as yet He had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.
"When He prepared the heavens, I was there ..." (Proverbs 8:25-27a)

The cross-references from Proverbs 8 are amazing.  From Proverbs 8:22 all the way through verse 36, "Wisdom" is personified as having been present before creation.  

As C.I. Scofield points out, "Proverbs 8:22-36 ... can refer to no one less than the eternal Son of God."

Reflection question:

Is it hard for your mind to comprehend how God can have no beginning and no end? How does knowing that you are a child of God -- forever -- comfort you?

I don't really find it hard to comprehend that God can have no beginning and no end.  It's something I just take by faith.  I do find it so comforting that the eternal God is my refuge.

My prayer:

Dear God, I love the truths of Psalm 90 and Proverbs 8!  What a blessed comfort to be reminded that You, the Maker of mountains and the One who sets the limits for the sea, are my refuge.  Your everlasting arms are beneath me.  When I look at mountains -- the White Mountains, the Rockies and the Rubies, Grand Canyon, Zion, and more -- I am so blessed and encouraged by the strength and steadfastness they represent.  What an incredible blessing it is to be Your child!  I thank and praise You in Jesus' name, Amen.

That's the Sunday Scripture for today.  I pray it was a blessing to someone!

2 comments:

  1. I love these cross references! I'd never seen the connection between Proverbs 8 and Psalm 90 before like that, and it is so very powerful! Yes, God is the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, and He is eternal. We accept this by faith, not fully comprehending exactly how it is or will be, but it is comforting to know that God is ALWAYS with us, the eternal "I AM". We can ALWAYS rely on Him, no matter what this world tries to throw at us. God is above and beyond all of that, and He is in control. Praise God!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that connection so very powerful, Pam?

    And Amen to all that you said here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!