Tuesday, July 02, 2024

A lovely vintage Christmas card ~ "Merry Christmas"

 


In scanning items to list in my Etsy shop, I came upon this beautiful vintage Christmas card and thought it would be perfect to share for Christmas in July.  It's probably from the late 1950s or the very early 1960s.  What a lovely classic look it has!

The creamy card stock has a slight moire effect.  The die-cut scalloped edge and gold trim give an elegant old-fashioned look.  At lower left is a pretty scene of snow-covered trees and homes, and a red covered bridge.  But it's the lantern at upper right that is the real star of this show.  It's an elegant brass lantern fitted out with a lighted red candle.  It's trimmed with a large red bow, lots of pine branches, red berries and green leaves, small red and green apples (or possibly they're ornaments, but the leaves look like apple leaves) and a couple of pine cones.  This is one of those nostalgic scenes that can almost move me to tears.

But there's more!  Inside the card, amid fancy swirling lines and a simple sketch of a lantern, is this lovely bit of verse:

"A lantern shining in the snowy eve,
Lighting the way to happiness and cheer ... "

 
Okay, if I thought my eyes were misty before, this one really did it.  I have tried to find the source of those beautiful words, but to no avail so far.  And if you know me very well, you know that I also love the idea of being a light shining in a stormy place, lighting the way to true peace and joy with God.

To top it all off, when I saw the signature, this card had been sent by my Great-Uncle Jim and his wife Irene.  Although we saw Jim less frequently than some of the other great-uncles, he was easily our favorite and we all loved it when he dropped by our house for a visit.  On a few occasions we stopped in to visit him and Irene, and that was a delight as well.  I wish I had gotten to know them better, but as a child one isn't aware of the need for such things.  We just knew we loved them, and that they loved us.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!