Monday, December 16, 2019

Recipe ideas for Christmas dinner


I don't know yet exactly what we will be having for Christmas dinner, but I felt it might be a good time for a post with some recipe ideas.  There's still plenty of time to get to the grocery store for ingredients.  I'll share a few thoughts for the main course and some sides, and save the dessert ideas for another day.

One main course I've made several times for Christmas dinner is Ranch House Chicken.  I use this recipe for Ranch House Pork Chops with Parmesan Mashed Potatoes and substitute chicken for the pork chops.  I have never made the Parmesan mashed potatoes, because we usually serve a different mashed potato dish (as you will see later). 
Photo from Real Mom Kitchen
 Also, whenever I make this chicken, I use a very simple homemade ranch dressing mix.  This dish produces a really tasty gravy.

Here's the recipe for the Ranch Dressing Mix, in case you need it:

RANCH DRESSING MIX

2 Tblsp. plus 2 tsp. dried minced onion
1 Tblsp. dried parsley flakes
2 1/2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in airtight container -- a jar, tin, or small plastic container would work well. For each packet of ranch dressing mix called for in a recipe, use 1 Tblsp. of this mix.

 Another main course idea is for roast pork.  We seldom eat pork or beef these days, but I've made pork roasts in the past and found a couple of recipes we really enjoyed.  This Rosemary Pork Roast is one of them, and I highly recommend it.  Just be very careful not to overcook it.

(Photo by Taste of Home)
For sides, mashed potatoes are a given at our house.  The Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes recipe is our family's go-to for any large holiday meal that requires mashed potatoes.  They are really, really good.
(Photo by Taste of Home)
A couple other vegetable ideas: in New England, it seems that squash is often a favorite side for Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners.  It always was when I was growing up, so I often tend to serve it.  This recipe: Whipped Butternut Squash is from an older Taste of Home magazine and is  wonderful!

(Photo by Taste of Home)
Here's an idea that I haven't tried: Green Beans with Roasted Grape Tomatoes.  With its festive red and green colors, this side dish, from an older December issue of Country Woman magazine, would be a natural for Christmas dinner.

We always like a festive salad with Christmas dinner, and this  Merry Berry Salad

(Photo by Taste of Home)
is the one I usually choose to make.  We especially like the easy, homemade cranberry vinaigrette dressing.

Cranberry sauce is a must if we're serving chicken, and I love this recipe for  Jellied Cranberry Sauce  that I found last year via Chowhound.
Photo from Chowhound
Or,  this Paradise Cran-Applesauce recipe makes a beautiful and lovely side dish that would be good with pork,  turkey or chicken.  No spices; just the wonderful, unadulterated flavors of apples and cranberries.
Photo from Taste of Home
So there you have a few of my Christmas dinner ideas.  If you needed inspiration, I hope you've found some.  Desserts to follow!

3 comments:

  1. I wish my son and grandson liked squash. I would love to make it for Christmas dinner. At least they like Brussel sprouts. The apple dish in the last photo is really pretty! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very interested in the make ahead potatoes. It is more economical than my recipe. I will serve squash if I can get to the orchard for more. One lonely squash will not do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like you have good feast for the Holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!