Sunday, December 08, 2019

Welcoming doorways (as depicted on vintage Christmas cards)


Many of the vintage Christmas cards in my collection picture front doors that are open or slightly ajar, hinting at the warmth and light to be found in the festively decorated home within.  I love these!  I so want for my own home to be a place from which warmth and light spill and invite others in.  I'm sharing a few of these lovely images today:
 How this radiates warmth in contrast to the snowy outdoors!
 This one too ... it's been blustery outdoors from the look of those snow-covered branches!
 Light spilling out into a snowy landscape. 
 You can even see the Christmas tree in this doorway.
More glowing light from lantern, window and doorway.  So snowy outside!

 I added this one in after the fact, since I hadn't found it at the time I wrote the post.  But I love this one, especially the birds on the doorstep, the sweet garland over the door, and the wonderful quote from Longfellow.

What do you think?  Aren't these beautiful?  Are you as inspired as I am to make your home warm and welcoming this Christmas season?

8 comments:

  1. I always consider light from my home to be an important part of Christmas decor. Last year, I purchased pricey candles for the windows. One broke. They require pricey batteries that run out far too soon. No candles in the windows this year. Sometimes I think to remedy this by turning on the outdoor light. Usually, I don’t. To further complicate things, my living area is in the back of my house away from the street so not even the light of a lamp spills out. So, yes, I consider all this carefully and usually come up wanting. I do have my “ghost” tree. One of my favorite Christmas cards has every light in the house aglow. I’d hate to see their electric bill. The cards you have shared today are exceptionally beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee! I just added in one last card today (12/28) since I only recently found this one. Ah, life is so busy!

      I wonder if there is a window in the front of your house near the street where a little lantern or lighted lamp might be placed.

      In many ways it must be nice to have the living area away from the street, though.

      And I think your little attic tree in the barn is lovely! Nothing ghostly about it in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. Those are such pretty cards and yes, that is a wonderful sentiment. I hope my family and friends love coming in. I have always wanted my home to be a place people feel comfortable in. I love home decor but not to the extent that it ever feels stuffy. A home should say come in and have a seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. A home should definitely say come in and have a seat. That is how I want my home to feel and many people have told me that it is.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful cards. It's nice to see doorways decorated and some lights around. I try to go with solar lights to save on my electricity bill and we don't have to worry about turning them on and off.
    Also inside I purchased some battery lights to decorate.
    Have a good week. Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solar lights ... great idea. One of our neighbors has a half dozen little lighted trees scattered through the woods behind his home. I've speculated that those may be solar lights. They are fun, anyway.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!