Sunday, December 01, 2019

Come on into the Christmas kitchen!


It's December 1, and so I'm hoping to post every day here  in my Christmas kitchen, as I've done for quite a number of years now.  I hope you'll stop in and see what's new each day.

For today, once I decided to add this adorable gingerbread baker to the post, I also decided that it would be incomplete without a recipe for gingerbread boys.

So really -- it's December 1, after all!  I imagine most people have every one of the necessary ingredients in the pantry right this very minute.  Why not mix up a batch?  If you don't have time to bake them today, chill the dough and bake them tomorrow.  We have a winter storm predicted here for Monday, and what better way to chase away the chill than the wonderful aroma and the cheerful look of a pan full of gingerbread men?

The following recipe is slightly adapted from Cook & Tell, and is my favorite recipe for ginger guys. Note that it is easily made in a saucepan!

GINGERBREAD MEN

1/2 cup shortening (or use real butter)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 tsp. vinegar
1 egg, beaten
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. salt

In a large, heavy saucepan, place shortening, sugar, molasses, and vinegar. Bring to a boil, stirring. Remove from heat and cool mixture to room temperature.

Add beaten egg to cooled mixture in saucepan. Sift together remaining ingredients and stir into molasses mixture using a wooden spoon. Mix well. Form mixture into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap and chill for several hours.

Working with a small amount of dough at a time, and leaving the remainder of dough in the fridge, roll out dough 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thick and cut with desired cookie cutters.

Bake on ungreased baking sheets at 375º for 8-12 minutes. Mine took about 8 minutes or even a little less. Makes a bunch of gingerbread men.

Happy December 1 -- and happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!