Tuesday, December 17, 2019

A vintage Christmas magazine for kids


Here's a find I recently came across at my childhood home.  There was a stash of Jack and Jill magazines, and a couple of them were Christmas issues.  This one, from 1959, is in the best shape.  I'll probably list it in my Etsy shop eventually, but for now I want to share it with all of you.  I'll just share some scans from its pages and a special surprise that I found within them.
The back cover.  A subscription was only $3.50 for 12 issues!  Quite a deal!
An exciting (and very good) story titled Snowstorm on the Turnpike
A Christmas song.  There are several songs in this magazine.
The Christmas Story
Ideas for making Christmas trims and decorations.  This would have been right up my alley as a kid.
And now for the surprise that I got while leafing through this old magazine.
 
Yes, it's a partial sheet of stencils.  Did you ever get and use those at Christmas time?  It seems we got a new stencil book every year or two.  We had friends who used stencils like this with glass wax to make frosty designs on their home's windows, but we never did that.   Instead, we used the stencils to make cards, ornaments, and Christmas scenes using paper, crayons and colored pencils.  Apparently, some child (more than likely me) was making something, maybe even using an idea from this magazine, and stuck the stencil in the magazine to mark a place,  or just for a safe place to put it.  So much fun from something so simple.  Today's kids are missing so much!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, how fun that was for children to have magazines like those at Christmas time!
    We never did use much stencils but I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was indeed so much fun to get the Jack and Jill magazine. A new issue came every month. There were great ideas for every season, but the Christmas and Thanksgiving ones were particularly fun.

    We used stencils a lot as kids, and my own kids did also.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!