Wednesday, July 14, 2021

A fun use for those bits and pieces of vintage Christmas fabric or linens

 


 Probably all of us who sew (or have ever sewed) have those smallish pieces of fabric that we don't quite know what to do with. But we don't want to throw them away.  If you are in that category with me, here's a potential project.  I came across a great idea from the talented Ashlee at  My So Called Crafty Life: holiday hoop art from vintage tablecloths or other vintage fabrics.

I think either of the fabrics pictured could work for something like this.  The linen tea towel at top has several unrelated scenes that would work well for hoop art.  The lower photo is actually modern fabric with a distinctly vintage look.

Ashlee used bits and pieces from vintage cutter tablecloths to make her hoops.  As you can see she used all different sizes of hoops, painted to match the tablecloth or fabric motifs.

 Then the fabric is stretched and glued into the hoop.  Later, excess fabric is trimmed off and trims like rickrack or ball fringe are glued in place.  For all the details, head on over to My So Called Crafty Life!

Aren't these charming?  Even if I can't get my hands on a vintage Christmas tablecloth, I intend to make some!

6 comments:

  1. Those hoops are gorgeous. Happy Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? Maybe someday I will happen onto a Christmas tablecloth like that!

      Happy Summer to you as well!

      Delete
  2. What a great way to use up the beautiful fabric. I quite like these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too! I really want to make some of these.

      Delete
  3. What a cute idea. I have lots of wooden embroidery hoops because I switched to Q-snaps years ago. I'm always on the lookout for something fun and creative to do with my old hoops.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!