Monday, December 11, 2017

A Christmasy finished project!


I actually finished the stitching on this some time ago.  It has taken me this long to figure out how I wanted to complete this lovely December sampler.  It has languished around looking just like this for quite awhile.  ↓↓↓↓↓

I knew that I didn't want to frame this piece, but I wasn't sure what I did want to do with it.  However, in recent months I have been very inspired by my stitching friends Arlene at Nanaland and Sandy at
I Majored in Home Economics.  I saw a piece that Arlene had finished by using a clipboard and burlap, and was intrigued.  But this piece is unusually long and narrow, and I wasn't sure if that technique would work. 

During my cleaning and decluttering at my parents' home, I came upon a longer-than-usual clipboard.  An idea began to form in my mind and I thought that this December sampler might look very nice with homespun behind it, and I had some homespun in my stash.  After consulting with Arlene and getting some technical advice, I was ready to finish the piece, but lacked the time.  I finished it today and am very pleased with how it turned out!
The above photo is taken with the piece lying flat on a table so you can see more of the clipboard.  The photo at top of post is taken with the piece hanging on the wood-shingled wall in our front hallway.  What fun to have finished this to display in December!

4 comments:

  1. That is a clever way of finishing this lovely piece.

    (My students were required to learn this lengthy poem once upon a time...it proved a good way to learn the months and seasons in a detailed way.)

    I admire your finishing up the UFOs in your world. I never seem to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think several of my grandchildren have learned that poem as part of their literature-based homeschool curriculum.

      I'm happy to have this finished at last. I had seen the piece (framed) at the needlework shop, now moved to Texas, and had to buy the chart because I thought it was just so beautiful. Happy to have it on display!

      It takes me a long time to finish UFOs, but eventually I do try to get them done. Cut yourself some slack on your own UFOs ... you have had a lot going on in your life.

      Delete
  2. Great way to display it. I love the sampler, so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucie. I love it too. "Chill December" is holding true today. It is SO cold out!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!