Wednesday, July 05, 2023

A sweet Christmas Cookies cookbook

 

 This treasure is one I found somewhere -- a yard sale or book sale, I would guess.  When I came across it again recently, I thought at first that I would probably list it in my Etsy shop.  But on looking it over a little more, I decided to keep it.  Below you see the back of this softcover cookbook.  A little damage to one corner.


 This book also includes a section called "Class Notes" which takes up 4 pages and shares the history of cookies as well as helpful hints for making, baking, and storing them.

Published in 1994, this is a vintage cookbook filled with Old World Christmas cookie recipes.    I have another cookbook -- The Wellesley Cookie Exchange Cookbook -- that features an entire chapter of heirloom cookie recipes, but I actually like this little cookbook better, because it has such detailed instructions and, most importantly, a photo of each and every cookie.  

The Caramel Filled Crescents above are from Argentina!
These Czech Bear Paws look amazing and are made using a madeleine pan, which I don't own.
I thought these lemon filled spice cookies looked so good!
These Danish Orange Cookies are cut in dainty rectangles and dipped in dark chocolate.  Wouldn't they be nice for a tea?
These Danish Raspberry Ribbons look scrumptious.
Swedish Sandwich cookies are sandwiched together with strawberry or currant jelly.
These Swiss Mocha Treats also look like a nice tea cookie.
I own a ceramic shortbread pan and have never used it.  This recipe might galvanize me into action!
I thought these Polish Honey Bars looked so good.

Although there are several cookies here I wouldn't ever try since they are deep-fried, there are a number of other recipes that I absolutely would love to try.  I'm thinking that if we continue to have cool weather in July like we've had in June, I might try a few recipes and blog about them.


I really like that the instructions for each recipe include photos.

What do you think?  Are these Old World Christmas Cookies appealing to you?

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post! yum - orange cookies with chocolate, yep... good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to try some of these recipes. I had thought I would sell this little book on Etsy, but nope -- I'm keeping it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!