Friday, July 14, 2023

Vintage Betty Crocker Recipes (that make wonderful gifts)

 


Here's another find from the old homestead -- or possibly from a stash of recipe booklets I inherited from my grandmother.  I'm guessing it's from the late 1940s.  It doesn't look like much -- simply printed in three colors and measuring only 3 1/4 inches by 6 1/4 inches.  But it actually contains a wealth of information.  

The booklet's title is a lengthy one.  It appears to be: Betty Crocker Recipes that Make Wonderful Gifts with Gift Wrapping Ideas by the Makers of Scotch Cellophane Tape and Sasheen Ribbon.  Wow!  

The back of the leaflet features step by step "The 'easy' way to wrap a gift package" and "How to tie the Magic Bow".  Both tutorials have sketches to show the steps in pictures.  You can double click to see them better.

 
There are six cake recipes featured in this booklet: Bit O' Walnut Chiffon Cake; Fresh Orange Layer Cake; New Choco-Nougat Cake; 


Loaf O' Gold Cake; New Maraschino Cherry Cake; and Golden Layer Cake. 

Four of the cake recipes include icing recipes to go along with them: Browned Butter Icing; Creamy Nut Icing; Easy Penuche Icing; and Orange Icing.

In addition, there are three gift wrap ideas for presenting cakes as gifts from your kitchen: Gift Wrap your Bit O' Walnut Cake for Beauty and Protection; Pretty and Practical; and Say "Happy Birthday".

What a fun find this is!  By the time you read this, I will have listed this one in my Etsy shop.


3 comments:

  1. I have my mom's 1950's Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook. I love the recipes in it and always use it for Christmas baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is fun, Jan. I have my great-aunt's 1950 Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook. Loved reading my mother's copy of that book and cooking from it as a teen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were the days when good food was gifted... not so much these days. It is sad :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!