Monday, July 17, 2023

Mystery fruitcake #2

 

 So here's another vintage mystery fruitcake recipe, this one apparently from the year following the spice cake one I featured last week.  This recipe notes that the dark mystery fruitcake was "last year's holiday sensation!"


Like its predecessor, this recipe uses a white cake (pre-baked from a mix) along with candied fruit, cherries, raisins,  cut-up coconut, and blanched almonds -- and a package of fluffy white frosting mix.  As I mentioned yesterday, I was curious about that last ingredient.  I remember using fluffy white frosting mix in the past -- was it possible this product is still being made?  As it turns out, yes, it is.  Look here: Betty Crocker Fluffy White Frosting Mix.  

One crumbles the baked, cooled cake into a very large bowl and mixes it with the fruit and nuts.  Then, one prepares the frosting mix and mixes it thoroughly with the cake crumbs and nuts.  This mixture is packed tightly into two loaf pans or one tube pan (foil lined in either case), covered with foil, then chilled in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.  It should be kept refrigerated and sliced with a sharp knife when ready to serve.


Betty Crocker describes this recipe as "a surprising new way to make fruitcake that's oh! so easy!"

I don't care for candied fruit much, so I would modify that requirement a bit, probably candying my own pineapple and cherries and possibly orange peel to come up with the four cups of candied fruit.  For the cut-up coconut, I've noticed that Walmart carries an organic unsweetened coconut in fairly large flakes that would probably work.  And although I'm not using mixes much these days, I'm thinking I just might give this recipe a try this year. 

What do you think?  Would you try this recipe?

4 comments:

  1. I do not like fruitcake at all... but with just apples and chocolate, would be good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I would never make it with candied fruit. I have just never enjoyed it. But candying my own cherries and pineapple and using this recipe, I just might!

      Delete
  2. Tim adores fruit cake and I never make it because his sister does! This might be an interesting surprise for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It just might! And there's also Mystery Fruitcake #1, which is here -- http://mychristmaskitchen.blogspot.com/2023/07/mystery-fruitcake-vintage-recipe-find.html. That one's made with a spice cake mix.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!