Thursday, July 20, 2023

Christmas church scene from 1964

 


I acquired the magazine pictured above (Things to Make for Christmas) when clearing out the family homestead.  I hadn't really had time to look at it, but when rearranging some of my Etsy listing stash, I came upon it again recently.  And took a closer look at the cover.  Wouldn't it be nice if there were directions or a pre-printed scene bound inside the magazine?

But no.  Instead, there was this little blurb on page 2: "CHURCH SCENE: It's made by Hallmark, has nothing to assemble; simply open it like a book and it will pop up.  Set it on your holiday table and accent it with evergreen sprayed with artificial snow.  You'll find it in major stores everywhere."

 Well, not anymore.  But just for fun, I decided to check and see if one was available on Etsy or eBay.  Sure enough, check this Etsy shop listing: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1258279708/vintage-hallmark-christmas-centerpiece.  

 

For $14 plus shipping, you can have your own.   When I looked at it a few days ago, it was in one person's cart.  So maybe not.  But isn't it sweet?

There was also this one: 

But that one is sold out. It seems a bit simpler and I think I almost like it better.

Who else wishes they made sweet items like this today?


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:47 AM

    I have this magazine! It was in things from my family, as well. It has some good recipes inside! I always thought the Christmas scene was missing from the copy I have! Thanks for solving that mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that fun that you have the same magazine!! I'm glad I could solve a mystery for you. What are some recipes you would recommend from the magazine?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!