Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Lovely ornaments to craft


Here are some of my very favorite ornaments. I saw some similar ones years ago in an outdoorsy catalog and decided to try making my own. If you'd like to do the same, keep an eye out in your area for the tiny hemlock cones. I gather mine when we're out for walks, and store them in a tin until I'm ready to use them for crafting.

Here's what you need:


* Clear glass ball ornaments

* Hemlock cones

* Artificial snow (this is the flaky stuff that comes in a bag)

* A funnel or a sheet of paper

* Ornament hangers or thin red ribbon for hanging

Carefully remove the tops from the glass ball ornaments. If you have a small funnel , insert the funnel tip in the top of the ornament and pour in some of the artificial snow. (If you don't have the right size funnel, just roll up a sheet of paper to create a funnel.) Don't fill the ball with snow; just fill it 1/4 or 1/3 full. Remove the funnel and drop some hemlock cones into the snow. Use as many as you like; I think I usually use at least 8 to 10. Sometimes you have to sort of squeeze the cones to get them through the ornament opening. I find it works best to put them in upside-down -- that is, the "stem" end first.

Carefully replace the hanger top on the ornament. Add an ornament hanger or a loop of thin red ribbon for hanging.

These look lovely on your tree and also make wonderful gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!