Saturday, April 28, 2007

A kitchen gift -- Zesty Horseradish Dill Pickles




I don’t usually make pickles for Christmas gifts, but this recipe, which I discovered in 2006, makes a wonderful gift for anyone who enjoys the flavors of horseradish and dill. This starts with prepared pickles which you buy at the grocery store, and is incredibly easy. A great gift for men!

ZESTY HORSERADISH DILL PICKLES

1 32-ounce jar whole dill pickles
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup prepared horseradish

Drain the juice from the pickles and discard it. Slice the pickles into spears (or rounds if you prefer) and return them to the jar. In a saucepan, bring the sugar, water, and vinegar to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the horseradish. Cool the mixture slightly, then pour it over the pickles in the jar. Cool completely, then cover the jar and shake well. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight (to blend flavors) before serving or giving. Yield: 1 quart pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!