Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A 1950s cookie recipe


Here’s a nostalgic cookie recipe straight out of the 1950s. This is my mother’s recipe, and it was a “must” on her cookie trays every year. Back in those days it seemed as if dates and other dried fruits were used more in festive holiday baked goods. I suppose that’s because they were more in the luxury category back then. These cookies look like the classic Christmas cookie of those days -- perfectly round, with half a candied cherry placed in the center of each one. If you’d like to try a genuine 1950s Christmas cookie recipe for your own baking this year, here’s your chance. These cookies freeze very well.

DATE-OATMEAL COOKIES

3/4 cup crisco or softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3 Tblsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups chopped dates
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Candied cherries

Mix together thoroughly shortening, sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
Sift together flour, soda, and salt; stir in. Stir in oats, dates, and
nuts and mix thoroughly. Chill dough until it is easy to handle.

Roll dough into balls the size of large walnuts. Place 3 inches apart on lightly
greased baking sheets. (I prefer to use teflon liners.) Flatten cookies to 1/4-inch thickness with the bottom of a glass dipped in flour. Place half a candied cherry on top of each.

Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, these do sound delicious, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope that you tried the recipe and that you enjoyed it! They really are delicious and quite different from the ordinary Christmas cookie of todaay.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!