Sunday, July 06, 2014

A Christmas poem

The lovely graphic is by Little Birdie Blessings.   These young ladies certainly have love tucked in the Christmas packages they are carrying.
 I may have mentioned that I am cleaning out the attic at my dad's home.  My mother saved many things, often new items she planned to use for gifts, but also many other things that may not have needed to be saved.  I am the only child left and so it is going to be up to me to clean out the house.  I decided to start now while I have the energy.  There are many things in the house that he doesn't need or even know about, and he is happy to have me give things away to folks who might use them.

One of the things I found was a nice book called The Blessings of Christmas -- similar to the Ideals books and magazines.  It contains many lovely Christmas poems and essays in addition to beautiful photos and pictures.  I plan to share some of the writings with you for Christmas in July.

Here is one of the poems, by Lucille Crumley.

Love Tucked In

When your gifts are wrapped
And gaily ribbon tied,
Please remember to enclose 
A lot of love inside.

The gift may be quite simple;
But love tucked in with care
Can change it to a priceless thing -- 
An offering, rich and rare.

The gift itself may soon be worn --
Its usefulness be past;
But of this you may be sure
That love tucked in will last.

~ Lucille Crumley

More to follow!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Luludou! Some of the others are even lovelier, so stay tuned ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this poem. So meaningful and heartwarming. Reading poems is one of my hobbies. Lately, I've been reading Christmas poems and sorta collecting them for later reads. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a nice poem, isn't it? Glad you enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister and I (MANY years ago) used to perform this poem at a Christmas event when we were children...I remembered it a bit differently.
    When your gifts are all wrapped up and gaily ribbon tied, Please remember to tuck in a lot of love inside. The gift itself may be quite small, but love tucked in with care, can change it to a priceless thing, an offering rich and rare. The gift itself may soon be worn, its' usefulness be past, but you can always be quite sure, the love tucked in will last."
    Now, this may be the Canadian version, I'm not sure...or, maybe my memory is failing me. But I do thank you for documenting this poem as I have been looking for it again, for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy that you found this poem after all these years of looking! And on an older post, at that!

    I'm thinking that maybe those who organized the event or chose the poem changed t he wording a bit to make it more suitable to recitation by children.

    Please visit again anytime ... there are loads of other poems and fun posts in the archives. Thanks for the visit today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!