Friday, July 11, 2014

Trim the Christmas Tree ~ a vintage children's book


Pinterest
I've saved most of my Little Golden Books from childhood.  Recently, though, I threw one away.  Trim the Christmas Tree had clearly been an an adorable book in its day, but it had been used and loved pretty much to death.  Both covers had been reduced to scraps by the punching out of a Christmas tree and stand; most of the pages were missing completely, and the few remaining ones were torn.  Still, the illustrations were beautiful and the story looked good.  I wanted to share the book with you all, and a Google search yielded copies available on eBay, Etsy, and so on.  I pinned the book to my Vintage Christmas
Pinterest board, and this is the link to the specific pin: Trim the Christmas Tree.

So you can get an idea of the beautiful illustrations, here are a few which I scanned.  You will see  how torn and tattered they are.

The story line seems to center around a family that has recently moved into a  new house.  Here the children have just come inside after helping their Dad cut a Christmas tree.  You can see  him through the window bringing the tree to the house.
They search all the moving boxes and barrels but cannot find the Christmas decorations.  So their Aunt Kass teaches them to make their own.

Snowflakes

Paper birds -- this page was two-sided
Busily crafting



Decorating the tree with their handmade ornaments
Hope you have enjoyed this look at a fun little book!

6 comments:

  1. They are lovely illustrations and a very nice book to read as I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful! That is neat that you have some books from your childhood! So glad that you shared these sweet pictures with us. We love children's books. My youngest collects vintage golden books-there is just something about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could use the pages that are left as gift tags or as scrapbook pages... love the vintage illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies, for visiting my Christmas kitchen and leaving such sweet and thoughtful comments.

    Luloudou -- aren't they lovely? And the story line is fun too. Even though most of the pages are missing, I can still get the gist of it.

    Mrs. Smith -- how sweet that your youngest collects vintage Golden Books! I still have most of mine from childhood.

    Vicki -- what an awesome idea to use the remaining pages for gift tags or scrapbooking! I threw the covers away -- they were literally just scraps -- but did save the remaining pages as well as scanning them. I knew there had to be some good way to use them. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the vintage childs book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Lana! So happy that you enjoyed seeing the book. As Mrs. Smith said above, there's just something about the vintage ones ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!