Monday, July 07, 2014

Painted Holiday Delights


Photo by Taste of Home
 When I was a child, one of my favorite cookbooks (yes, I had a small collection of them even then!) was the Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls
I still have my 1957 edition of this classic cookbook!
 I would page through it by the hour -- and of course I actually cooked and baked from it too -- and one recipe that always appealed to me was one for sugar cookies decorated with egg yolk paint.  However, at that stage of my life I hated eggs, and egg yolk paint just didn't sound good to me, so I never tried that recipe.

Well, these Painted Holiday Delights cookies are even prettier.  Just lovely.  The designs, painted with a fine paintbrush (or even a toothpick) on icing, are so delicate.  And I like the fact that these are sandwich cookies, shortbread with jam in between. I've been thinking about trying these cookies for a few years now.  Maybe this will be the year I paint some.

4 comments:

  1. I just bought the commemorative version of this cookbook that I had as a little girl. I plan to use it with my grandkids. It brings back great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun, Vicki! I am blessed to own 3 versions of this cookbook -- 1957, 1965, and 1978 (the last one is the 7th printing. I must say the 1957 is my sentimental favorite because I cooked from it so much. But I also love the 1965 one which I acquired in recent years. You can read about it and see pictures here on my regular blog: Sugar-scented memories. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Takes some talent to paint that on the cookies! but they sure are worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually not sure I have enough talent to paint these. But I would like to try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!