Wednesday, March 04, 2015

"Of berries, red, of candles' mellow light ..."


In my last post, I shared about a wonderful surprise in my mailbox last week: a packet of vintage Christmas cards from my crafting friend Ann.  Today I want to show you the first one.  This was on top in the bubble-wrap bag and it caught my fancy immediately.

It's a poem illustrated in a sort of illuminated fashion:

December, month of holly, pine, and balsam,
Of berries, red, of candles' mellow light;
Of home and fireside, laughter, happy faces,
Of peace that comes upon the Holy Night.

I have no idea who wrote the verse, so can't give credit where credit is due, but it is a very pretty and unusual vintage card, a great addition to my collection.

I didn't scan the inside because it is pretty simple: "To wish you happiness at Christmas."

Hope you've enjoyed this card!  Have you ever seen one like it?  I wonder if it might have come in a set of boxed cards all illustrated in illuminated style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!