Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Poem: Let Us Live Christmas Every Day


 I'm always on the lookout for new and meaningful Christmas poems.  This one, by the well-known Helen Steiner Rice, was on the back of a vintage Christmas card I recently came upon.  It surely fits in with the spirit of my Christmas blog, since I like to celebrate Christmas all year round.

Here it is:

LET US LIVE CHRISTMAS EVERY DAY

Christmas is more than a day at the end of the year, more than a season of joy and good cheer,
Christmas is really God's pattern for living, to be followed all year by unselfish giving ...
For the holiday season awakens good cheer and draws us closer to those we hold dear,
And we open our hearts and find it is Good to live among men As We Always Should ...
But as soon as the tinsel is stripped from the tree, the spirit of Christmas fades silently
Into the background of daily routine and is lost in the whirl of life's busy scene,
And all unawares we miss and forego the greatest blessing that mankind can know ...
For if we lived Christmas each day, as we should, and made it our aim to always do good, 
We'd find the lost key to meaningful living that comes not from Getting, 
but from unselfish Giving.

Helen Steiner Rice

Hope you have enjoyed this little, but meaningful verse today!

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE that poem! TFS! I will have to print that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Lana! Glad you enjoyed it. I ought to print it out too and put it where I will see it daily.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:57 PM

      Beautiful poet

      Delete
  2. Lovely poem. What a beautiful christmas card it must be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucie! It is a nice card, but not as perfectly lovely as I think it should be to go along with this beautiful poem.

      Delete
  3. It is such a wonderful time of the year although not everyone you meet looks like they are enjoying the season of joy and good cheer. I make an extra effort to smile at everyone, say Merry Christmas, always thank salespeople for their help even if it's just ringing up my purchase, and give generously to the various organizations that are helping those that need it most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, taking the extra effort to smile and be kind and grateful is so important any time, isn't it? More so this year than ever!

      Delete
  4. Helen Steiner Rice is a nostalgic blast from my childhood. We had some of her poetry books in our home. Great poem, thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my great-aunts loved Helen Steiner Rice and often bought greeting cards featuring her poems. Fun that you remember her poetry from your childhood too!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this lovely poem Mrs T.
    I know someone who will appreciate it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, my friend! I am happy you enjoyed the poem.

      Delete
  6. I really like that poem as well. Came across a couple of her books 40 years ago in a used book store. Grabbed them both and one was all Christmas poems she had written. Beautiful poems, classic and timeless. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun that you could find her poem books in a used book store and that one was all Christmas poems! What a treasure to bring out every year!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous8:38 PM

    Great poem

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!