Thursday, March 19, 2015

A comical vintage Christmas card


Here's another of the vintage cards from the parcel sent me by my friend Ann.  This one has a decidedly comic aspect!  The Victorian couple is apparently moving along between snowbanks and it looks as if they are walking.

But the inside of the card is where it gets funny.

You can't tell from this scan of the card's interior, but it's a pop-up card, making the gentleman's leap onto the tandem bicycle quite realistic and comical.  You see that his top hat and the package he was carrying (as well as his coattails and scarf) go flying out behind him.

This wouldn't be a card I would select, but I had a great-aunt who very often chose funny cards.  This looks very much like one she would have picked.  It was a fun reminder of her. 

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome that it reminds you of your aunt! I can see my Grandpa Joe in the man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, isn't that funny, Terri! I'm glad you had a fun reminder of your Uncle Joe in this post. Thanks for stopping by to tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I meant to say Grandpa Joe! (Interestingly, I had a Grandpa Joe as well. His real name wasn't Joe [or even Joseph] but he was always called Joe by everyone who knew him.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like pop-ups! Makes for a fun card

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does, doesn't it? Sometimes in older cards the pop-up feature no longer works or is torn, but this is in pristine condition and works perfectly. It's pretty funny to see the gentleman hop onto the bike while his packages fly in all directions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!