Wednesday, March 06, 2024

A very vintage paper plate

 


 Yes, this is one of two I found in a plastic bag at my childhood home.  My mother stored Christmas items in special attic storage areas.  In this particular one were things like holiday tablecloths, both paper and plastic, placemats, holiday napkins,  table runners, packaging for kitchen gifts, and more, in addition to festive paper plates.

Most of the items were newer, from the 1980s and 1990s when my parents hosted many a family get-together.  I brought many of these things home and added the usable ones to my own stash.

Fast-forward to December 2023 when my hubby went looking for a Christmasy paper plate to put some cookies on.  He brought me the plastic bag containing the two vintage paper plates, noting that I probably didn't want him to use these.  

He was so right!  I had forgotten all about them!

Isn't the wintry village scene with the horse and sleigh the sweetest thing ever?  I love the silvery rim that makes it resemble an actual china plate.  

I won't serve food on this plate, of course.  I'll display it, perhaps even with a real plate behind it for stability.  And I gifted the second plate to my daughter, for the same purpose.

Ah, vintage Christmas!  Positively swoon-worthy! 🌲💕



5 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love that sweet vintage Christmas scene so much! I am glad you won't be using it for food but as a Christmas display item. It's too bad that it is a paper plate and not a china plate, but it looks to be in pristine condition, so I am sure you will enjoy it for many years! Amazing the things that you find stored away in an attic for who knows how long? Have you ever shared pictures of your parents' home? I haven't been visiting here for too many years, so I may have missed the beginning of your journey into the wonderful things that were left behind. Is the house going to stay in the family? Is it an old New Englander style farmhouse? I'd love to hear more of the history. If you've already written about it, maybe you can direct me back to where it all began. Hope you have a lovely day. I love this plate and the scene it conveys very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing, Pam?

      I don't think I have shared pictures of my parents' home. Well, perhaps some of the yard. Sadly, it is gone now. It started life in 1949 as a log-cabin style home with log siding. Then in the 1960s my parents added onto each end, and re-sided it with cedar shakes. It then had more of a ranch style look. It's a long story, but an extended family member ended up with the house (it was adjacent to his property) and he eventually tore it down.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE IT. I wish my parents had been into Christmas like this. My father had homemade Christmas ornaments that he made from a kit in the 1970s when he was doing occupational and physical therapy (he was electrocuted and lost the use of his hand). He made beautiful ornaments. I saw a similar kit on Ebay and think I might do something like what he did just to have as a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, my parents were definitely into Christmas like this, especially my mother. My dad was a willing participant in creating handmade gifts or delivering kitchen gifts to neighbors, but my mom was the one who was the sparkplug.

      That is so interesting about your dad making the homemade Christmas ornaments as physical and occupational therapy. It's wonderful how such things as old craft kits can be found on eBay and Etsy. I say, go for it and order the kit! It would be a sweet reminder of your dad.

      Delete
    2. Yeah it was cool. When he was doing his therapy, he also had to put flowers in resin. We had trivets with pansies and baby's breath he made but I have no idea whatever happened to all the arts and crafts he made during that time after my parents divorced. I miss small things like that. But, yes, I definitely want to find a 1970s ornament kit.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!