Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Merry Mincemeaters




 These are bar cookies that I remember my mother making. When I put this recipe in my Christmas Memory Book, I thought I copied it down accurately, but I forgot a crucial ingredient (I think it was sugar) and had to look it up again. I found this recipe on line, but then I discovered it later in an old cookie cookbook I own. I think it was originally a Pillsbury Bake-Off winner of long ago, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, here's the recipe:
 

MERRY MINCEMEATERS
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg (reserve 1 Tblsp. egg white for later use)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups mincemeat
1/3 cup sliced almonds (optional)

Sift together flour, cinnamon and salt; set aside. Cream butter and
sugar. Blend in egg and vanilla; beat well. Stir in the sifted dry
ingredients; mix thoroughly.

Roll out half of dough on greased baking
sheet to a 10X8-inch rectangle. Spread with mincemeat. Roll out
remaining dough between sheets of wax paper to a 10X8-inch rectangle.
Remove top sheet of wax paper and invert dough over the mincemeat.
Remove remaining wax paper.

Slightly beat the reserved egg white and
brush it over the dough. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Bake at
350° for 25 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool before
cutting into bars.

I was surprised when copying down this recipe to find that it had no brown sugar in it. I had been sure the crust had a brown sugar flavor to it. It must be the cinnamon that gives it a light brown color and great flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!