Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A different wreath idea




Remember those cute little boxes made of old Christmas cards? I featured them here on my blog some time ago. They are so easy to make that you can do a whole bunch of them in a jiffy. Well, recently I was looking through an old magazine and saw a wreath that someone had covered with these little boxes. I scanned the photo to show you how it looked.

My guess is that the person who made the wreath (there were no directions, just the photo) started with either a straw or styrofoam wreath form. I think my next step would be to wrap the wreath form with ribbon, then I'd hot-glue the little boxes to the wreath form in layers. I definitely want to try making one of these next year. I'm including the directions for the little boxes right here, since most people probably have easy access to old Christmas cards right now.

Christmas Card Boxes

Most people have probably seen those little boxes made from Christmas cards. These are the easiest directions I have ever found. Most of the instructions I've seen involve a lot of folding and drawing of complicated lines, etc. These are actually easy!

The boxes can obviously be made from any greeting card, not just Christmas ones. These make great little gift boxes or can be used to hold office or craft supplies like paper clips, tacks, push pins, beads, etc. Christmas ones can be hung on the tree or piled beneath a miniature tree.

Here's what you do:

1. Cut apart a greeting card along the fold, separating the front from the back.

2. Start with the back part of the card. Using a ruler, draw lines from corner to corner on the unprinted side of the card to form an X. The center is where the two lines of the X meet.

3. Fold up each of the four sides of the card to meet the center of the X. Crease the folds well.

4. Open the card back up to reveal the creases you've made. Now, holding the card vertically, carefully cut on the two vertical crease lines at the top and bottom of the card, just to the point where they intersect with the nearest horizontal crease.

5. Fold in the tabs you just created by following step 4. You can now see how this is going to form a box. Tape the tabs inside the box. (You may find that each end of the box -- the part between the tabs -- stands up a bit higher than the rest of the box. If this happens, it is not a problem. You can simply fold the excess down inside, over the tabs, and tape it in place. Or, if you prefer, you can simply trim off the excess card before taping.) You have just made the bottom of the box!

6. Now, repeat steps 2 through 5 with the front part of the card, which will make the top of your box.

7. Obviously, this produces a box top and bottom which are exactly the same size, which sometimes means that the cover doesn't go on too easily. Usually, if you just squeeze the sides of the box gently, the cover will go on just fine.

These directions look far more complicated than the process actually is. I've made loads of these boxes with kids over the years, and it really is easy enough for even a 5-year-old to do. So have fun with these cute little boxes!

2 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to try this pattern! Great idea. I also enjoyed your post about the collection of Christmas magazines that you have-very impressive. The sticky note idea is a great one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. JoJo,

    Thanks so much for stopping by my Christmas kitchen! I have a daughter named JoJo (really Joanna) so your visit is special to me!

    Hope you try this idea and that it turns out well for you.

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!