Wednesday, December 14, 2016

A Holly Jolly Hodgepodge


Again this week I am linking up to the Wednesday Hodgepodge with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond.  This week, I thought it would be fun to post the answers to Joyce's questions in my Christmas blog.  Here we go!

1. Are you more task oriented or people oriented? Elaborate. 
Good question. I tend to be more people oriented, I think, in general.  I make a plan for every day and do what I can, but really, it's all about people.  If something on my list doesn't get done because God brought along someone to reach out to or to encourage, it's fine.  It helps me to consider my overall goal for life -- bringing glory to God with all that He has given me.  Part of the way I'm to do that is by touching the lives of other people.  Tasks are part of it too, but the people are more important.

2. December 15 is National Wear Your Pearls Day...do you own/wear pearls?  Everyone share a 'pearl of wisdom' with us here today.
I own pearls but haven't worn them for a long time. As a teen, I asked for a pearl ring for Christmas -- the type with two pearls entwined together -- and received it, too.  Hadn't thought of that in a long time, so the reminder was fun.

Here's a Christmasy pearl of wisdom:

Christmas will always be in the hearts of God's children everywhere as they extend a helping hand to a friend in need ... as they go about reflecting God's goodness in the little quiet and unheralded expressions of a loving heart ... as they share the light of the world with those who live in darkness."
-- Jane Hillsmen

3. Speaking of pearls...oysters? Are you a fan or not a fan? If you answered yes, tell us your favorite way to eat oysters? If you said no, be honest-have you ever tried one or does just the idea of eating an oyster make you gag a little? 
I like oysters all right. They're not my favorite seafood, and I wouldn't go out of my way to eat them, but I like them okay.  My favorite way to eat them would be in oyster stew.  My dad used to love oyster stew and my mother would sometimes make it for him.  I was allowed, usually, to just have a bowl of broth, because I loved the flavor, but leave the oysters for my dad.  I don't think any of my siblings liked oyster stew.   

4. Time Magazine has named President-elect Donald Trump Person of the Year. Let's take presidents and presidential candidates out of the mix for a minute. If a political figure had not been chosen who would you name Man or Woman of the Year for 2016?
I would have to say our police officers who have had to carry on under some very difficult pressures and some very bad press, plus the very real possibility of being murdered themselves -- and those firefighters who have been fighting the many horrendous wildfires we've seen this year.  And all of those professionals who've had to deal with the riots and protests and other childishness of those disappointed by election results.

5. The Pantone Color of the Year for 2017 has been announced and it's a vibrant green, aptly named-greenery. Your thoughts? Is this a color currently in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in this shade for the new year? Click here to see the color. 
I love this color.   I don't have this color in my home (yet) but I do wear this color, and in fact have a shirt this color. Green is one of my favorite colors to wear.  It never used to be, but has become a favorite in recent years.

6. Today I've had too much__________________.
Coffee, I guess.  Yesterday I had too many Christmas cookies -- Chocolate Mint Crisps, to be specific.  They are wonderful!
photo from Taste of Home
7. Share a favorite lyric from a favorite Christmas carol.
I like both of those that Joyce mentioned: '...Then rang the bells more loud and deep, God is not dead nor doth He sleep...'

'...A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices, for yonder breaks a new and glorious morn...'
Our world is so weary and it so badly needs that thrill of hope today.  May we who truly have hope be faithful about showing it in our daily lives!
And this one: "Who is He in yonder stall at whose feet the shepherds fall?  'Tis the Lord, O wondrous story, 'tis the Lord, the King of Glory.  At His feet we humbly fall; crown Him, crown Him Lord of all."

8. Insert your own random thought here. 
 Today's forecast was for partly sunny weather.  Patches of blue sky up there, but at this point it's mostly cloudy and snowing lightly.  I detest winter driving!
Thanks to Joyce for these thought-provoking questions.  I'm thrilled to be participating in the Hodgepodge again this week!

11 comments:

  1. Your blog is beautiful! Both of them! My grandmother made oyster stew when I was little and my granddaddy LOVED it. Me, not so much. I still don't love oysters but I do love hosting Christmas oyster roasts! You reminded me that I need some coffee to finish the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam! I have never eaten a roasted oyster. Do you cook them over a wood fire (like a clambake) or how is that done?

      Please visit anytime ... love having company here in my Christmas kitchen!

      Delete
  2. I've never eaten oyster stew . . .not sure I would like it . . .not a big oyster fan :-) Love the layout of your blog - really attractive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I like the layout also -- sometimes am tempted to change it, but I really, really like this one!

      Stop by and visit anytime!

      Delete
  3. Your blog is so festive and fun! I enjoyed reading your hodgepodge today! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Jessica! I am glad you enjoyed your visit. Please stop by anytime, or at my regular blog as well. I love company!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your hodgepodge. I resonated with many of your thoughts and answers. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen! I enjoyed reading your hodgepodge as well and felt the same about your thoughts. Stop by anytime ... I always enjoy company in the kitchen. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  5. What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! It's something different! Have you ever done the hodgepodge? This is only my second time but it is so much fun.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!