Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A fun gift idea for kids


I decided to show these pictures on my Christmas blog because the recipient of this birthday gift (my 6-year-old grandson) will be less likely to see them. I plan to make several more of these for other grandchildren as well.

I found the pattern here. It is available in a pdf as well. It did work up very quickly once I got everything translated from centimeters into inches and cut out.

The idea is to use three different fabrics for a cute and colorful chef's hat. I wanted to use only fabrics I had on hand for these, so had a bit of trouble finding the right fabric for the puffy top. I finally decided this dark red checked top would be okay.

Sam likes trains, so a train print worked for the headband part. A black and white Mary Engelbreit check was the perfect binding, coordinating with the railroad crossing signs on the headband.

This picture shows the snaps that make it adjustable. If this turns out to be too big for Sam, we can add another set of snaps.

For the gift, I will include 2 baking mixes with the hat.

Hope someone else can use this fun idea!

5 comments:

  1. How cute! I'm sure Sam will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary Ann! I'm glad you like it and I hope Sam does too. I am using a Mary Engelbreit print for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chef's hat is so cute. I think I'll try making one for Brandon. He loves to cook. Maybe I'll pair it with a kid size apron to match or a couple of mixes like you did. I spoke to him on Saturday and promised to send him something... but wasn't sure what to send. Would make a cute Easter gift with an Easter recipe for a "breakfast cassarole" which I have been hunting up today :) (wonder why).

    Hope you have a wonderful week.
    See ya Wednesday, Lord willing.

    Mrs. D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mrs. D!!

    This would be a fun idea for Brandon since he loves to cook! I made hats for Sarah and Mackenzie too, and they cooked in theirs this weekend. I just finished one for Emily and made an apron to match hers. I need to get pictures of all the others posted. They came out really cute and are quite quick & easy to make.

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to stop by & let you know that I nominated you for a couple of bloggy awards. Check out my blog for details!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!