Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A "Christmas caravan" ornament

Our Canadian and British friends call this a "caravan".  Here in the states we are more likely to call it a camper  or camping trailer -- in this case, a cute little vintage one.  I found the camper design in the Sublime Stitching collection called "Camp Out".  I've used this design for dish towels and they came out very cute, but I decided to also try making it into a Christmas ornament, and this is the result.

It was easy to decide what colors to use to make it Christmasy, but a bit more difficult to figure out how to make this into an ornament.  I made the design smaller by first scanning it, then shrinking it to make it a better size for an ornament.  It's still quite large and probably would look better hung in a window or from a peg rack or something, rather than on the Christmas tree.  Then I used a homespun in a Christmas plaid, along with green felt, to make the ornament itself.  It has a wire hanger trimmed with buttons, and as you can see I put it all together with blanket stitching on each layer.  I found the design in Gooseberry Patch Christmas, Book 3.  It was used for cross-stitch ornaments there, but I found the design worked admirably for embroidered ornaments, too.  What a fun project this was!

2 comments:

  1. I like your caravan
    Dorothea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the caravan ornament, Dorothea! Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen. Please come and visit again anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!