Friday, May 04, 2007

A Cookie Mix in a Jar


Jar mixes have become a very popular kitchen gift item. This recipe, which I adapted from one I found in the Gooseberry Patch book Holidays at Home, is the first one I tried and has been well liked by everyone I've shared it with. I think the little extra touch of the chocolate drink mix makes this cookie especially good.

I have found that the large instant coffee jars work as well as canning jars for this, and they often have festive-looking red lids as well. A jar filler type of wide-mouth funnel (the type used in canning) works really well for putting ingredients for mixes neatly into jars.

CHOCOLATE CHIP OAT COOKIES IN A JAR

1/4 cup instant chocolate drink mix (like Quik®)
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups quick oats
1 cup chocolate chips

Place the chocolate drink mix in the bottom of a quart-size jar. Sift the flour, salt, and baking soda together onto wax paper. Gently roll up the wax paper and use it as a funnel to pour the flour mixture into the jar. Pack this layer down on top of the chocolate drink mix layer. Layer in: brown sugar; granulated sugar; oats; and chocolate chips, packing each layer down firmly. Tighten the jar lid securely.

Make a label for the cookie mix with the following instructions: In a large mixing bowl, blend 1/2 cup softened butter or real margarine, 1 egg, 1 Tblsp. milk and 1 tsp. vanilla. Add contents of jar and blend well. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake at 375ยบ for 10 minutes for chewy cookies, or 13 minutes for a crispy cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!