Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Felt Christmas cookies -- no baking required!


Trees, star and bell
If I have time in July, I will share photos of other felt food I've recently made.  Felt food is a great gift for kids!  But for now, I just thought I would share these felt Christmas cookies.  They do require cookie cutters, but no oven is needed.  These would make a portable and easy little craft to take along to work on at the beach (or just in front of an air conditioner or fan!).
I didn't love this "frosting" color, but it was the only pink I had.
I edged some of the frosting with a white chain stitch and liked that better.

The white-trimmed cookies by themselves.

These are a prettier pink.  I used white sprinkles for some and pastel on the other.  Heart-shaped cookies are great for Valentine's, Christmas, or any old time!  Love is always in season!

The crinkly-edged round cutter I used for these was my grandmother's.
You will need:
*  Cookie cutters of your choice
*  Cookie-colored felt (I find the shade called "Cashmere" to be perfect)
*  Desired colors of felt for "frosting"
*  Beads for "sprinkles" or "sugar"
*  Thread or embroidery floss in matching colors
*  Other basic sewing supplies like pins, needles, etc.

What to do:
*  Trace around your cookie cutters on the cookie-colored felt.  Cut 2 shapes for each cookie.
*  Cut a slightly smaller shape out of colored felt for "frosting".  Cut 1 for each cookie.
*  Sew the frosting to one of the cookie shapes, using any stitch you like.  I have used a running stitch, a blanket stitch, or even a chain stitch (in white) depending on the effect desired.
*  Sew beads to the frosting -- colored beads for sprinkles, and clear beads for sugar.
*  Pin the frosted top part of the cookie to the second cookie shape.  Sew the 2 together -- a blanket or buttonhole stitch works best.

Your Christmas cookie is complete!  Now make a  whole plateful!
Gingerbread men and trees
Packaging for felt Christmas cookies
As I mentioned, kids adore felt food, and these Christmas cookies are no exception.  But the cookies are also very cute as Christmas decorations.  Happy baking!

7 comments:

  1. How cute! I may try these with my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vicki! I hope you have fun with this idea if you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:45 PM

    Oh these are so cute! I'm thinking of a kitchen Christmas tree and these would be so cute on it.
    Thanks for popping in to see me and b e a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how cute your no-bake cookies are! Love this idea! Thank you for sharing and Happy Christmas in July!

    Blessings,
    Sandi - "Christmas Pudding"" blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the sweet comments, Shelia and Sandi! This is a fun and easy project with endless variations. Have fun if you try making some of these no-bake cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea! I am picturing a little Kitchen Christmas
    tree decorated with these sweet felt cookies!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. They would be cute on a little kitchen tree, wouldn't they? I have always wanted to do a kitchen Christmas tree. Maybe this will be the year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!