Saturday, December 09, 2017

A quick-to-make supper for a busy day


I've shared this recipe on my regular blog, but not here on my Christmas blog.  I happened to think of posting it here since it's what I prepared for supper last night.  You have to love an oven recipe that's fast to put together and contains pretty much an entire meal in a 13x9 dish!  Here's the recipe:

POLENTA BAKE

1 package of chicken sausage (fully cooked type such as Al Fresco) -- in the sweet apple flavor
1 large sweet onion
1 large apple (Honey Crisp is the best!) or 2 smaller apples
1 tube garlic and herb polenta
Olive oil
Salt and pepper (optional)

Have a 9 x 13-inch baking dish ready and just add the ingredients as you prepare them.  Slice up the chicken sausages.  I slice each one lengthwise and then cut them into about 1/4-inch slices crosswise.  Peel the onion, cut it in half and cut each half into wedges.  (Or cut them smaller if your onion is really huge.)  Wash, core and slice the apples into wedges.  Don't bother to peel them.  Then slice your polenta.  I cut it in quarters lengthwise and then slice it between 1/4-inch and 1/2-inch thick.  Now drizzle some olive oil (at least a tablespoon, but it's up to you) over the ingredients in the baking dish.  Salt and pepper to taste if you like.  Stir everything together well.

Bake at 375º for 1 hour.

It's so easy to just slice up a few things, stir the mixture, and pop the dish in the oven. You can adjust the quantities to feed your family.   I often use an extra apple and/or onion.  The apples are just so good this way.  The dish smells delicious as it bakes, too.  Sides could be about anything -- a salad, a rice dish, a vegetable like broccoli or green beans.  This time, I had some of the microwave-ready potatoes from Little Potato Company, in the savory herb flavor, so I just used a package of those  as a side dish and that was plenty for us.

Hope this quick and delicious meal may be a December lifesaver for someone else!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!