Friday, December 16, 2011

Cranberry Cheese Log ~ a yummy appetizer!

(Photo by Taste of Home)
Last night I went to a ladies' Christmas fellowship and needed to  bring along finger foods to share.  I brought a tray of cookies plus a cheese log and crackers.  For the crackers I chose Triscuits®, which seemed just right with the flavors and texture of this cheese log.  The recipe may be found here:  Cranberry Cheese Ball.  I chose to form the cheese mixture into a log, as I think cheese logs are easier and neater to serve than cheese balls.  I rolled it in chopped toasted walnuts rather than pecans.


This seems to be a very forgiving and adaptable recipe.  Rather than gorgonzola, I used just regular crumbled blue cheese (low-fat) from the grocery store since this is what I had, and it worked just fine.  I left out the chopped red & green peppers because I had none on hand, and left out the celery due to lack of time.  For the onion, I reconstituted 2 teaspoons of dried minced onion in hot water for 10 minutes or so and then drained off the excess water (there wasn't much).  The flavor was wonderful and, although I may add the peppers next time, they are not necessary.  This seemed to go over very well at the fellowship, and I will definitely be making this again and again at Christmas time.  Easy and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!