Tuesday, December 14, 2021

A simple craft project

 

The other day when four of our local grandkids came over to make candy, I suggested maybe we would do a simple craft as well.  I was thinking that when we came to parts of recipes where things needed to chill or set for awhile, a little craft might be a good way to pass the time.  

Some years ago, I received this gift tag as a tuck-in in a Christmas card exchange:

Front of tag

Back of tag

 
As you can see, it's creatively made from a game card; a Dutch Blitz card, to be specific.

I didn't use it, but held onto it thinking I might like to use the idea to make some tags of my own.  From what I can tell, the creator of this tag stamped the snowman motif onto a small tag shape made from white card stock, then glued it to the Dutch Blitz card and punched a hole through both layers to add the striped twine.  There's a strip of washi tape along the bottom of the tag.  The back simply looks as if it has been scuffed up with sandpaper and "to" and "from" added with alphabet stamps.

I decided to try this project with the grands.  I'm pretty sure that I have some Dutch Blitz cards found at the homestead, but couldn't find them so used Uno cards (from the same source, set aside for the purpose) instead.  

 I then put out washi tape, card stock and scrapbook paper, rubber stamps and stamp pads, hole punch and twine, along with glue sticks and old Christmas cards.  And also, very important, the transfer art images shown at the top of the post.  The kids had a blast with this idea and produced some very creative tags.



Below are some of the tags they ended up with.  I was especially taken with the red-and-green striped tag.  Printed cardboard from an old candy cane box was glued to a red Uno card and details added with the paint transfer rub-ons.  "Open" was stamped on using alphabet stamps, and "Dec 25" was added using a library card-type stamp.  They are all great, though, and are different on both sides.  They would even make fun ornaments or would look nice as part of a garland or banner.

I'm impressed with their creativity using very simple materials.  Now I can't wait to try this project for myself, as I didn't have time to do so that day.

2 comments:

  1. You are so creative. I am still trying to figure all this out and am not quite as quick to learn as your kiddos...but then, they are young and I am not. But this would be such fun to do. Thank you for sharing your fun ideas with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's a wrong way to do this project, Pam. You couldn't help but end up with some fun and whimsical tags! 🎄😊

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!