Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Christmas poem: The Story that Never Grows Old

 


 This poem, written by Ottis Shirk, is from Christmas Ideals from 1957.  The image at top is a scanned vintage Christmas card from my collection.

THE STORY THAT NEVER GROWS OLD

Let us pause and take time again to read
The story so often told,
Of the village obscure, the manger and child,
The story that never grows old.

The shepherds abiding nearby in the field,
Keeping watch o'er their flocks, and then
The Angel's appearance with the Heavenly Host,
Saying, 'Peace and good will to men.'

The story of the Wise Men from the East
In their journey from afar
In search of Him, born King of the Jews,
Saying, 'We have seen His star'.

Meditatingly read the old story
In a thoughtful, prayerful, way,
And find Bethlehem's child of the manger
Is the hope of the world today.

-- Ottis Shirk

It's true, the story has so often been told.  Yet it is also true that it never grows old.  And it seems more true than ever that Jesus is the hope -- the only hope -- for our world today.

3 comments:

  1. My mother always had a gift subscription to Ideals. That was a nice poem from 1957. Do you have stacks of them somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:02 PM

    Ottis Shirk was my grandfather, I have several.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not huge stacks of them. I may have a dozen at most. I imagine most of the issues my Gram had are still in the attic of her house, where my uncle now lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!