Monday, December 19, 2022

An easy oven dinner for a busy day

 


As Christmas nears I find it ever more challenging to produce an evening meal that will be quick yet satisfying and relatively healthy.  I like to use the crockpot during this season, but it doesn't always work out.  This past week I had some cooked chicken breasts on hand and devised a meal that we both enjoyed greatly.  We are trying to eat low carb these days (except for the Christmas cookies, haha) so that's what this meal is.

CHICKEN BROCCOLI BAKE

1 large package frozen broccoli florets (mine was between 24 and 32 ounces)
1 to 2 cooked boneless chicken breasts, sliced
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 of a 14-ounce can water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
Garlic powder to taste
Basil to taste

Paprika and a bit more shredded Parmesan for topping

Spread the broccoli in a shallow 2 or 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.  Salt and pepper generously.  Arrange chicken over broccoli.

In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients; spoon evenly over chicken.  Sprinkle with paprika and additional shredded Parmesan.  Bake at 350º for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly.

Makes about 4 servings.  We just had a salad alongside and that was plenty.

I chose to use basil in this because I had included some leftover pesto cauliflower in with the broccoli.  (The artichoke hearts were also a leftover.)

But other herbs could probably be substituted.  I think curry powder would be good, but not with basil -- and I had the flavor limitation of that pesto.

Hope this easy oven meal is a blessing to you if you try it!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great for people who enjoy broccoli. Kim would love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!