Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Vintage scraps

 


 I'd forgotten all about this little bit of history and I am so happy to have stumbled across it again!

Back when I was cleaning out my childhood home, I spent a lot of time sorting through Christmas wraps, cards, tags, etc., both new and used.  Some things, I kept; used (and some unused) cards are being sold on Etsy; boxes full went to the thrift store.  At some point I came upon this little "craft" that I made as a child.  I tucked it in with the tags I was keeping and forgot about it. 

This year, I think it was on Christmas Eve, I was looking through my box of tags to find some that had strings so I could tie them to the handles of gift bags.  And again I came upon this little scrappy item.  

 It's something I made, of that I am sure.  I'm guessing it was something I did (or something my mother suggested that I do) to keep me busy while she was working on projects of her own.

It's pretty simple, you see; just rectangles cut from wrapping paper and laced together at the top with a bit of silver cord.  You can see that I embellished the top one with a snowflake sticker.  Some readers may recall that I found the partial package of stickers in a box of crafting odds and ends from my childhood home. 

 

I'm sure it must have been wrapping paper that I cut the rectangles from.  Wrapping paper featuring various Christmas stockings.  You see how the top rectangle has a green stocking with a poodle applique and a gray fur trim at the top.  I'm thinking it had a large gray pompom on the toe, that I covered with a sticker.

 

The second "page" in this creation featured a red stocking with a green cuff, a train applique and golden jingle bells on the toe.


The third "page" featured a real stunner of a stocking: one fashioned to look like a white high-button shoe with green heel and trim and golden buttons.  It's stuffed with mistletoe and holly!

And the last page -- I am terming them "pages" for lack of a better term -- is a red and green stocking with a knitted look.  It has a white fur cuff and a kitten peeping out of a gift box.


I'm not sure what this crafting effort was intended to be in the end.  A gift tag?  A package embellishment?  A tree ornament?  One thing it surely did accomplish was to start my lifelong love of Christmas crafting. 

Hope this little bit of crafting history has brought a nostalgic smile to someone!

2 comments:

  1. So sweet!! I love this! I hope you will keep it! It's in wonderful condition and is so clever!! Your mother must have been a good "teacher" and example for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A special find when you can see the genesis of a lifelong joy in Christmas crafting. I think your mom was a smart one! I should have suggestions at the ready for fun possibilities. (I do have littles visit weekly.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!