Tuesday, December 06, 2022

Book review: Hometown Christmas

 


Most of my readers know that I'm a great fan of Gooseberry Patch cookbooks.  I've received many of these for free over the years in return for submitting a recipe or memory.  I've purchased others on sale or found them used at Thriftbooks.  Hometown Christmas is one such cookbook that I've used during the past year, and it was one that I really enjoyed.  

This is one of those books that I just love the cover art.  I may have even bought this for the cover art, which depicts a snapshot of a quaint little downtown. In the foreground of the cover is an array of pine cones, ornaments, and festive foods like cookies and a gift loaf of cranberry bread.  Tucked in among these treats is a little card with these words: "Remember Christmas at home with our newest collection of festive recipes, merry-making tips and warm holiday memories."  

Each chapter of the book begins with a sweet full-page illustration including holiday foods and snapshots of various holiday activities.

The first chapter is Breakfast with Santa.  There are some great ideas for egg bakes, breakfast sides, pancakes, waffles and French toast, coffee cakes, and other wonderful-sounding breakfast dishes.  Nearly every recipe sounds like one that I would love to serve for Christmas breakfast!  Deep-Dish Breakfast Pie, for instance, includes sausage, eggs and cheese in a pie crust -- and the recipe makes two pies. There are also quotes, memories, simple recipes, and other fun ideas sprinkled on the pages of this section.

The second chapter is Sledding Party Warmers.  This one has loads of great-sounding recipes for soups, sandwiches, salads, and breads.  I'd love to try the Christmas Hot Broth, the Roast Beef & Herbed Cheese Sandwiches, and Herbed Batter Bread. which sounds as if it would be wonderful with soups. 

Next is Old-Fashioned Christmas Dinner.  Chicken-Broccoli Piquant sounds a lot like my Chicken Divan recipe, with the addition of stuffing.  The Tender Turkey Breast and the Glazed Pork Roast both sound like great Christmas dinner entrees.  Orange Curried Rice might make a fabulous side.  Taste of the Holidays Relish would be perfect at Christmas dinner, but also would make a wonderful kitchen gift.

The fourth chapter is Open House ... You're Invited!  We enjoy open houses as a means of hospitality, especially over the holidays or whenever visiting family is in town.  So I'm always looking for new recipes that lend themselves to this sort of entertaining.  Cranberry-Pecan Spread would be scrumptious with crackers.  Bacon-Wrapped Smokies, Scrumptious Stuffed Mushrooms,  and Irresistible Crab Dip sound good.  There are also snack mixes and a number of punch recipes.

Tree-Trimming Treats is the next chapter, filled with festive recipes for cookies, candies, and pastries.  I've not tried recipes from this chapter yet, but my want-to-trys include Cherry-Almond Butter Bites,   Maple-Pecan Bon-Bons,and Raspberry Jellies.
 
   
Slow-Cooker Comfort Foods contains recipes for all sorts of foods make in a slow cooker
-- everything from breakfast foods to candy.  Spuds & Bacon Breakfast includes potato puffs and Canadian bacon in addition to eggs and cheese.  It sounds like stick-to-the-ribs comfort food!Mom's Smothered Steak includes cream of mushroom soup for good gravy.  I've made Savory French Dip and it is excellent.  Christmas Wassail and Peanut Cluster Candy are recipes I'd like to try.

The last chapter is Coming Home for Christmas.  It contains many sweet and priceless Christmas memories of years gone by.

The back-page copy on this book states, "All hearts go home at Christmas!  Remember gazing at the holiday displays in windows, shopping at church bazaars and skating on the town pond?  Then there were magical visits to see Santa, singing Christmas carols and finally Christmas Day surrounded by family ... not to mention all the delicious food!"  Yes, it all brings back memories.

Even if you don't cook from it, this Christmas cookbook would be a beautiful addition to your collection!                                   

6 comments:


  1. PAMELA wrote:

    "That sounds like a delightful book that I would enjoy! Is it a new book, or an older one you found? It certainly has a lot of wonderful ideas. Back in the day when I did a lot more entertaining, and especially when we lived up north, I would have enjoyed the ideas shared in that book a lot. Now it seems like those days are just a memory, but they are happy memories from our years in the ministry and in the "parsonage". Thank you for sharing this with us. It really sounds delightful."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I will email you this info as well, but this is a slightly older book, released in 2013.

      Check "book reviews" in my label cloud to read about more Christmas books I've reviewed. There may be one you would like even better!

      Delete
  2. I picked up a Gooseberry Patch Christmas cookbook yesterday while shopping at Hobby Lobby. I mistakenly thought it was part of their 60% off promotion. I do have a couple and should get them out to read. I enjoy reading Christmas recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, Vee. Always have! My mother had only a few cookbooks that were specifically Christmas, but I would page through them by the hour every year! And I still do it with the ones I own, which is quite a few now. In fact, I may or may not read Christmas cookbooks all year round.

      Delete
  3. I have a few of their Christmas books but not this one, but now I think I should look for it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one! There are others I like even better, but this one is good and the cover art is so beautiful!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!