Sunday, December 11, 2022

Sunday Scripture

 


As I mentioned last week, in December 2020 I used Peace, Be Still: A 31-Day Christmas prayer journal, from Women Living Well.  I had thought I might use some of my simple study from this book as Scripture Sunday posts for this December.  I have decided to do so, using different posts on each of my blogs to keep it interesting for all of my readers.  I will take two from each week's study to use one each on my blogs, and maybe next December use more of them.

Also -- note that this simple study does not use the SOAP method as my studies usually do.  This one includes a verse for the day, a thought for the day,  a reflection question for the day and space to write a prayer for each day.  I tended to look at the verse a little bit in depth, and I tended to answer the reflection question in the prayer, but of course you can use these any way you want to.   Here goes with the study for Week 2, Day 9!

Verse for the day:

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father), full of grace and truth."  (John 1:14)

My study:

If we look back at John 1:1 we see that "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."  Jesus is the Word.  He left heaven and came to this earth as a Baby, to dwell among men and ultimately to die for the sins of mankind.  We have not personally beheld His glory, as John did at the Transfiguration, but one day we will.  Jesus is full of grace, and He is the truth.

Reflection question:

Do you spend more time on your outer self than your inner?  In what ways do you seek to glorify God in your daily life? 

Oddly, I think I spend more time on my inner self than my outer.  I spend a good deal more time in Bible reading, study, and prayer than I do on maintenance of my appearance.  My desire, though I often fail miserably, is to glorify God in everything I do.  I believe that it's possible to bring glory to God in every area of life, no matter how mundane.

My prayer:

Dear God, As I write, I am beholding some of your glory and power in a snow-covered landscape and a glowing pink sunrise.  Oh Lord, "when I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which Thou hast ordained, What is man, that Thou art mindful of him?  And the son of man, that Thou visitest him?" (Psalm 8:3-4) I know that indeed, many times my worship is nowhere near what You are due.  I desire for worship to be my way of life, and I praise You for helping me to begin to do that.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

That's the Sunday Scripture for today.  I pray it was a blessing to someone!

 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...interesting question. I don't believe I spend more time on the outer, but then I don't spend enough time on the inner. Good thing I read here. 😉 Always food for thought.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!