Sunday, December 25, 2022

Sunday Scripture

 


As I've mentioned previously, in December 2020 I used Peace, Be Still: A 31-Day Christmas prayer journal, from Women Living Well.   I've been using some of my simple study from this book as Scripture Sunday posts for this December, using different posts on each of my blogs to keep it interesting for all of my readers.  I will take two from each week's study to use one each on my blogs, and plan to use more of them next December.

Also -- note that this simple study does not use the SOAP method as my studies usually do.  This one includes a verse for the day, a thought for the day,  a reflection question for the day and space to write a prayer for each day.  I tended to look at the verse a little bit in depth, and I tended to answer the reflection question in the prayer, but I didn't always do it that way.  And of course you can use these any way you want to.   Here goes with the study for Week 4, Day 23!

Verse for the day:

"Now the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always by all means.  The Lord be with you all."  (2 Thessalonians 3:16)

My study:

Cross-references for 2 Thessalonians 3:16 include: 

"Those things which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do, and the God of peace shall be with you." (Philippians 4:9)

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."  (John 14:27)

* God is the Lord of peace!
* He is able to give us peace always.
* He is able to give us peace by all means.
* He is ever-present with us.

What marvelous truths!  Almighty God, the Lord of peace, is always with me and is able to give me peace at all times, by all means!

William MacDonald writes, "The Christian is not dependent on anything in this world for his serenity.  It is based entirely on the Person and work of the Lord Jesus.  The world cannot give it or take it away.  But we must appropriate it in all the circumstances of life."

Reflection question:

How has God comforted you with His peace in difficult times?

Oh, so many instances.  I have faced some incredibly difficult moments in life.  But God was there and so was His peace.  Many times it was simply His reassuring presence and a sense that all would be well.  But at least twice I am certain that I felt His hand on my shoulder, calming me.

My prayer:

Dear God, I'm so very thankful that You are the Lord of peace.  You are able to give us peace always -- the peace that surpasses all human understanding -- as we stay our minds on You and commit our situations to You with prayer and thanksgiving.  Your peace is "not as the world giveth."  You are with us always, and able to give us peace always, by all means.  We need not let our hearts be troubled or afraid, because You are with us.   I praise You  for this in Jesus' name, Amen.

That's the Sunday Scripture for today.  I pray that this look at God's peace was a blessing to someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!